While we certainly can’t control how green and eco-friendly the whole world is, it is possible to do a few things every day to reduce your carbon footprint by just a little bit. Here are eight ideas that may seem obvious, but are often overlooked and are easy, important ways to do your part in keeping things green.
- Use a reusable water bottle instead of buying plastic ones! Saves the environment and your money. One of our favorites is this one.
- Ditto for coffee and tea mugs! Most places, like Starbucks, will fill your reusable travel mug for you instead of using one of their disposable ones.
- Carpool. Have a friend or coworker that works close to your office? Share the ride, and alternate who drives. Save the environment and gas money. Even better yet…. walk or bike to work, if possible.
- Bring your own bags when you go grocery shopping. Some stores, like Whole Foods, will give you a small refund for each reusable bag you bring.
- Use Tupperware instead of plastic bags when bringing snacks and lunch to work.
- Switch off your computer and office lights every time you leave work. Are you one of those people who says “screw it – the company is paying for this”? Well, we all have to pay for the environment, so think about the bigger picture.
- Switch off lights and electronic equipment you aren’t using at home
- Don’t let water run needlessly. Shut the faucet while brushing your teeth, loading the dishwasher, etc.
You may not think that your contributions will do anything for the bigger picture. But, if you are inspired to do it, another person probably is too, and another, and another… and all of a sudden you have made an impact.