There is a wonderful quote I once read that says: “Keep your body light and clean for your soul to reside in.” I think about this quote on a daily basis, especially when it comes to making decisions about what I am eating, drinking and generally putting into my body. Eating well is incredibly important in ensuring that we live our best, most healthy life, and making us feel as good as possible.We should always be eating to cultivate the body’s highest potential, and avoid anything that would slow you down. While there is no one single diet that is good for everyone, here are some basic principles to live by.
- Eat Clean. There is no better thing you can do for your health besides putting down the pre-packaged, processed stuff and switching to foods that are in their natural, whole form.
- Eat mostly plants. I’m not saying everyone should be a vegetarian, but you should definitely try to make the majority of what you eat fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and legumes. Your body will thank you.
- Eat lean proteins, occasionally. When you do eat animal protein, try to stick to lean cuts, and avoid excessive fat and gristle. I am a big advocate of making fish your primary source of animal protein because it is low in fat and calories and gives you the heart-healthy benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
- Avoid high-fat foods. This includes full-fat dairy, and anything fried. The extra fat in each does absolutely nothing for your health, only compromises it. Opt for fat-free dairy like milk and yogurt, and eat things that are steamed, baked, or grilled rather than fried.
- Make water your go-to beverage. As humans, we need water to survive. It is the best thing you can put into your body to hydrate while flushing out unwanted toxins. Make water your beverage of choice and eliminate any sugary drinks such as soda.
Making these few changes will make you feel lighter, fresher, energized and rested rather than lethargic and heavy. There is no such thing as starting tomorrow when it comes to health, so incorporate these changes today to start improving your well-being!