Between work, deadlines, traffic, family life, school, and countless other things, stress is nearly unavoidable in the modern world. We all know the negative impacts that stress can have on our lives, ranging from bad relationships to high blood pressure, and just a lower quality of living. One of yoga’s many health benefits is its ability to decrease stress. Here are five poses for you to try next time you need to quiet your mind and let off some steam.
- Anjali Mudra (Salutation Seal) – A wonderful way to start any yoga practice, sitting in Anjali Mudra allows you to focus inward and regulate your breathing. Start off with this pose to get yourself into the right mindset.
- Marjaryasana (Cat) and Bitilasana (Cow) poses – Like many people, I carry my stress right in my chest and upped abdomen. Stretching it out with Cat and Cow pose is SO liberating and can dispel even the tightest of tension bundles. Try ten rounds, inhaling into Cow and exhaling into Cat.
- Bharadvajasana 1 (Bharadvaja’s Twist) - Again, a wonderful way to stretch out the midsection when you are feeling overwhelmed. Do it once on each side, staying as long as you would like and focusing on your breath.
- Setu BandhaSarvangasana (Bridge Pose) - This pose calms your mind and rejuvenates your back and legs!
- Halasana (Plow Pose) - Halasana releases your lower back, another place where people hold a lot of tension. It is also said that this pose can help you get to sleep better!
After doing these poses, I recommend that you come back to Anjali Mudra and spend some more time to breathe and evaluate how you feel compared to before you began. Enjoy de-stressing!