The shift in seasons and unpredictable weather this time of year can lead to restlessness and nights spent tossing and turning. If you are having trouble falling asleep, there are some yoga poses you can try that may help you drift off to sleep more effectively than counting sheep or watching tv. Try these out and see if they work for you!
- Downward Facing Dog - This pose is an all-over, rejuvenating stretch that can loosen up your body and prepare you for a more restful slumber.
- Seated Forward Bend – In this pose, you stretch forward while folding down onto yourself, leading your focus internally and calming down your mind.
- Plow Pose – This pose can alleviate lower back stress and help you get to sleep.
- Supported Shoulderstand – Shoulderstand releases tension in the shoulders and back while relaxing the mind.
- Standing Forward Bend – This stretch for your hamstrings has the same effects as seated forward bend, just without sitting down!
- Legs Up the Wall – I recently discovered this pose, and I wish it was socially acceptable to do in my office. Known as an incredibly powerful pose, it calms, centers, and feels damn good!