Have you been gifted with a day off and no plans? That doesn’t mean that you need to spend the day laying on your couch, mindlessly watching old re-runs, or worse yet, checking your work email from your home computer. Here are some healthy and fun ways to spend your day that will make you feel relaxed and energized all at once.
- Go for a hike if you live near a park, or walk around a new neighborhood of your city. It is always fun to discover new places, and an hour spent walking briskly in the fresh air will do wonders for your health and spirit.
- Switch off your cell phone and commit to not looking at it for 24 hours. In a recent blog I wrote about the benefits of unplugging, I went into detail about how beneficial this can be. We are so connected these days that it is easy to forget how refreshing it is to just be, without all of the distractions.
- Try something new – Have you had the itch to try rock climbing? Go for it! Thinking about going to an event at a local yoga studio? Why not check it out. Trying something once could lead to a habit that lasts a lifetime, so if there is anything you have been wondering about, now is the time to try it!
- Volunteer – Love animals? There are bound to be a number of shelters in your area that could use a hand helping out, and the pups will enjoy your company too. Some places even let you bring the shelter dogs for walks!
- Read – When is the last time you sat down with a good book and really let yourself get lost in it? It had been years since I had done so, until I recently got a Nook. Spending an hour curled up in your favorite spot at home (or on the beach, or in the park,) and losing yourself in a book is an invaluable way to spend your time.
- Exercise – Since you have all this extra time, why not add a little extra oomph to your exercise routine? Add a half an hour to your normal yoga routine, or an extra mile to your run. Better yet, do both!
- Unleash your culinary genius – If there is a dish you have been dying to try, why not take a stab at it? You have the time, so take a leisurly trip to the store to get the perfect ingredients, turn your kitchen into a creative oasis and make some magic happen!
- Explore – Depending on where you live, check out local events that are going on. From museums and farmers markets to book readings and clubs, there is bound to be something different going on near you that is worth investigating.