Summertime means long days full of sunshine, lounging poolside, playing in the surf, BBQs and all sorts of outdoor fun. Unfortunately, many of these activities can wreak havoc on your hair. Fear not! We spoke to the experts to find out the best ways to keep your locks in tip-top shape throughout the summer season.
- Wear a hat or scarf when you are outdoors for a long period of time. The strong summer sun can cause hair color to fade fast and hair to become dull and dry. If you plan on being outside for a while, pack something to cover your head and keep your hair looking its best!
- Wash or rinse your hair as soon as possible after being in salt water or chlorine. Like the sun, salt water and chlorine can make hair appear dull. Also, it can cause lasting damage by drying out parched ends prematurely, especially for those of you with longer hair. Every time you get out of the ocean or pool, headed to the nearest source of clean water and rinse off to minimize the damaging effects.
- Keep up to date on trims. While summer time seems like the perfect season to skimp on the haircuts and let your hair grow out, make sure to keep up to date on trims. All the elements of summer contribute to dry hair, so to keep your hair in good shape make sure to get a trim every 6 weeks.
- Use a deep conditioner regularly. Deep conditioners can reset and renew your hair in a way that every-day conditioner cannot. By infusing your hair with nutrients and moisture, you are staying ahead of the elements of summer that can cause damage. Aim to deep condition at least once per week.
- Use a sun-protecting line. Many hair care brands are coming out with summer-specific hair products. They are formulated specially to treat summer hair and keep it at its best. Many lines of sun-protecting hair care feature shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, smoothing creams, protective sprays, overnight restorative treatment and shimmering protective care. Armed with all that, the summer sun doesn’t stand a chance against your hair!
- Eat a well-balanced diet full of fruit, vegetables, nuts, whole grains and leanprotein. Your hair is what you eat! A healthy diet will contribute to strong, shiny hair in the summer and all year-long.